When it comes to saving money around the house there are a few things that can be done in every season to optimize your energy usage. In the spring and summer it’s time to fire up the air conditioning, but there are a number of things to consider in order to ensure you’re saving as much money as possible while running it. Aside from regular servicing by a trusted Air Conditioner Pro professional that includes preventative maintenance, there are numerous things that can be done prior to the busy summer HVAC season. Here are 15 easy ways to save on air conditioning costs this summer.
A number of these items should be done by a professional Air Conditioner Pro HVAC or air conditioning technician such as any work on the condenser and other sensitive internal air conditioner components.
Save On Air Conditioning Costs With This Intuitive List
- Simply put ceiling fans can save you money as long as they’re blowing air down. They take up much less energy than running an air conditioner and have a cooling effect on your skin.
- Close off the lower levels of your home. If you have a basement door keep it closed. This will ensure that cool air from your air conditioner doesn’t pool in the basement of your home.
- Seal up your home. When windows and doors are allowing air to move in and out and leak they’re not just letting warm air in they’re letting cool air out, which means your air conditioner is working harder than it needs to.
- Have your condenser professionally cleaned every year. This isn’t something that should be done by the homeowner but it’s a fairly simple part of any HVAC technician’s annual maintenance checklist.
- Ensure that no bushes, trees, or other shrubbery or debris is blocking your air conditioner from venting properly.
- Seasonal service appointment from a professional are essential to ensuring that small issues don’t become large expensive costs.
- Turn off your air conditioner and open your doors and windows when evenings and morning are cool and refreshing.
- Turn your thermostat up during the night-time or when you’re away on vacation.
- If your air conditioner is an older model or on its last legs and you’re holding on for dear life because you don’t want the expense of replacing it you’re probably costing yourself money. Newer air conditioners are much more efficient and will save you money on your energy bills every month. A newer air conditioner can save you up to 60% on an annual basis.
- Keep doors and windows covered during the day or when you’re not home. The sun can heat up your home in the summer, which means your air conditioner has to work harder to keep it cool.
- Keep your vents and duct system clean and clear of all furniture and appliances. This ensures airflow throughout your home is optimized.
- Check the filters in your HVAC system and replace them as often as necessary to keep air moving easily through your vents and ductwork.
- Shading your condenser from the sun can help it run more efficiently, but it’s important to ensure that whatever is shading it isn’t impeding airflow.
- Don’t place lamps or other heat sources near your thermostat. This can cause your thermostat to operate under the impression that it’s warmer in your home than it actually is. As a result your air conditioner will run when it shouldn’t be.
- Is your attic properly ventilated? Allowing hot summer air out of your attic can significantly reduce the amount of heat in your home. This can also reduce the wear and tear on your roof and shingles.
Implementing these simple tips to optimize your home’s air conditioning can save you and your family hundreds of dollars in energy costs. For more information about saving money on your energy bills for professional air conditioning services contact Air Conditioner Pro today: 647-547-4049